Greater Seattle Surf Announces Search for New Executive Director
Greater Seattle Surf (GSS) is searching for a dynamic and experienced leader to join our organization in the role of Executive Director (ED). Our club desires to be a high performing organization that is nimble and responsive to the needs of the membership along with the evolving youth soccer market.
The club aspires to be the preeminent soccer club in the state of Washington. In only its second year, the club has competed successfully on the state, regional and national level, and produced a number of collegiate and MLS academy players.
The Executive Director shall be responsible for both executive and administrative activities required to support and sustain the mission and vision as well as the goals and objectives of the Greater Seattle Surf’s strategic plan in collaboration with the Board of Directors. The ideal candidate for this position has previous corporate management experience and a proven track record for effective team management and results-driven leadership.
Reporting: The ED is employed by the GSS and reports to the Greater Seattle Surf Board.
- Responsible for the overall leadership and management of the organization.
- Manage and lead a diverse set of professionals or volunteers, to carry out the operations of Greater Seattle Surf provided within the budget and the Human Resource policies currently established or further modified by the Greater Seattle Surf Board of Directors.
- Establish committees and committee members as needed, with consultation from the Greater Seattle Surf Board and approval of the Board.
- Perform such other duties as may be stated in the Bylaws and other Greater Seattle Surf governing documents, policies and procedures, and the Human Resources Policy established by the Board of Directors or by law, and as may be directed by the Board.
- Lead community relations, outreach, marketing, communications, and advocacy
- Develop and recommend to the Board a long-term strategy and vision.
- Develop and recommend to the Board annual business plans, programs, and budgets that support the Greater Seattle Surf long-term strategy.
- Lead the day-to-day business affairs of the club
- Develop and implement a holistic diversity and inclusion strategy
- Manage the annual operating budget of Greater Seattle Surf in collaboration with the Board of
- Hire, onboard, develop and manage professional staff for GSS
- Develop, nurture and retain a senior leadership team
- Ensure that Greater Seattle Surf achieves and maintains a leadership position within its industry.
- Ensure that Greater Seattle Surf has an effective management team below the level of the ED and has an active plan for its development and succession.
- In cooperation with the Board, maintain an effective succession plan for the ED position.
- Formulate and oversee the implementation of Greater Seattle Surf policies.
- Maintain a positive and ethical work climate that is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating top-quality employees at all levels.
- Serve as a primary liaison to partner organizations including, but not limited to, the United States Soccer Federation, United States Youth Soccer, Washington Youth Soccer, the Regional Club League, South Snohomish Youth Soccer Association, and Northshore Youth Soccer Association and develop and ensure a positive and mutually beneficial relationships.
- Formulate and oversee a sponsorship/fundraising program to meet the marketing and financial needs of Greater Seattle Surf.
- Develop comprehensive Human Resource plan including the development of sound personnel policies, evaluation methodology, and practices.
Other Responsibilities Related to Support of the Board:
- Advise on the schedule of Board meetings
- Prepare the agendas for Board and committee meetings in consultation with the Board.
- Manage the quality, quantity, and timeliness of the flow of information from Greater Seattle Surf management that is necessary for the Directors to effectively and responsibly perform their duties. Management will be responsible for the preparation of materials for the Board.
- Assist the Board in assuring compliance with federal, state, and local regulations and implementation of Greater Seattle Surf’s governance guidelines.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in business, nonprofit management, or a related management experience field required. Advance Degree preferred.
- A minimum of ten years of progressive work experience in leadership of a complex and dynamic organization
- Demonstrated success in managing all aspects of a complex organization including but not limited to: Financial management and planning, policy development and implementation
- Strong ability to organize effectively, delegate responsibility, solve problems quickly and communicate clearly
- Proven track record of developing and implementing advocacy plans
- Data centric leader capable of developing key indicators of organizational health
- Successful development and implementation of a diversity and inclusion plans
- A strong commitment to the values of youth team sports and the mission of Greater Seattle Surf.
- Familiarity with youth soccer preferred; however, not required
- Demonstrated experience and success in recruiting, retaining, developing, and motivating staff at all levels.
- Expertise in attracting, developing and incentivizing volunteers
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects with deadlines.
For immediate consideration, please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com. All submissions will be handled confidentially. Greater Seattle Surf is an equal opportunity employer.